A Beautiful Illinois Cabin Resort Area near Starved Rock State Park
Kishauwau’s Starve Rock Area Cabins has been family owned and operated since 1986 when Ben & Ellen King purchased the land from the local Boyscouts Council, then known as Camp Ki-Shau-Wau. While not knowing what they wanted to do with the property it slowly became a built-up family business that has gone through many transformations over the years. From the rustic beginnings of a mess hall (now the office and gift shop) and 4 original cabins (gutted and renovated into beautiful rentals), the King family with the help of friends constructed an additional 13 cabins over the next 20 years. A beautiful Koi pond was added in 2007 for a peaceful area to sit and read a good book or just enjoy the sound of the running waterfall and, of course, the entertainment of the frogs and toads.
The Legacy Continued
With the passing of Ben in 2006 and Ellen in 2010, the legacy continues within the family. The King children decided to continue the business, known at that time as Kishauwau on the Vermilion.
Today, Jamie (son of Ben & Ellen), his wife Terisa and their children live right on this gorgeous property which is now known as Kishauwau’s Starved Rock Area Cabins…a year-round country retreat. Each season has its own natural allure that makes Kishauwau one of the most inspirational and memorable places to stay. The King family takes great pride in the property and are very responsive to any of their renter’s needs. Guests are in direct contact with them – from booking their reservation to key exchanges to cleaning, to repairs, and anything in between. They are here to help you create the getaway of your dreams!
The Kishauwau Property
In today’s hectic lifestyle, it can be a treat to step back from modern conveniences to spend time reconnecting with nature and enjoying the beautiful scenery of the outdoors. If you are planning an Illinois vacation and you want to savor the simplicity of nature, Kishauwau’s Starved Rock Area Cabins can offer an ideal getaway, where you can surround yourself with breathtaking views while taking in the amenities of 17 cozy cabins, which may house anywhere from 1 to 14 guests. Whether you are seeking a destination for a romantic weekend, family reunion or corporate retreat, our cabins may be the perfect venue for your next vacation in Illinois
A Quiet Retreat Close to Home
While it may seem like you are worlds away from home in the city as you breathe in the fresh air of Starved Rock State Park, you will only have to travel about 2 hours from downtown Chicago to reach our country cabins. Not only will you find Starved Rock State Park nearby, but you will be just a short drive from Illini, Buffalo Rock, and Matthiessen State Parks as well. On our property, you can enjoy 65 acres of forests with unique beauty to offer in every season.
Our Luxurious Cabins
Each of our cabins has been upgraded with luxurious amenities and a welcoming rustic décor to enhance your stay. Queen sized beds are adorned with quilts and full kitchens are ready for you to create a home away from home, preparing breakfast to enjoy on the porch or dinners to eat around the bonfire. Here’s a closer look at the amenities you can expect, whether you are traveling alone, with your sweetheart, or with a large group of friends.
- Full Kitchens – Our kitchens are equipped with all the tools you need to whip up your favorite meals, so all you’ll need to bring is food, drinks, and condiments.
- Dog-Friendly Cabins – Four of our cabins welcome the four-legged members of your family with a small additional fee. These cabins are only rented to guests bringing their dogs along, so those who don’t have pets will not have to worry about allergies.
- Indoor Wood Stoves – When the weather outside cools down, you might warm up with an indoor gas fireplace or wood stove, which will add a romantic ambiance to create a whimsical setting for your stay.
- Central air & furnace heated – No worries, each one of our cabins offer these amenities for the heat of summer and cold of our winters here in Illinois.
- Outdoor Fire Pits – In the late nights of summer, you can light up a fire in your own personal outdoor fire pit. In the unfortunate instance of a drought year, we very strongly adhere to any burn bans issued by our local fire department. There are just too many acres of wooded property here to risk it. Our cancellation policy is also strongly adhered to. We will not accept cancellations without penalty. If this would be a problem for you then we suggest changing it and waiting until last minute to book. During the day, you might enjoy an afternoon breeze and a good book as you lounge on a porch swing.
Kishauwau’s Starved Rock Area Cabins provides lodging year-round for those seeking weekend, weeknight, and extended getaways in the wooded wilderness of North Central Illinois.
Out & About
UTICA Cabins sport modern kitchens, cozy fireplaces and covered front porches at Kishauwau’s Starved Rock Area Cabins, in the forest outside Utica. Anyone can visit the community cabin, which conjures memories of sleep-away camp with a canteen (payments made on the honor system) and a library of books and board games. But sipping wine before a private fire pit under the stars feels decidedly adult(815-442-8453; kishauwaucabins.com).
As cited by Midwest Living Out & About, October 2014